Saturday, January 22, 2011

Summary of what I have learnd about blogging

Over the course of this class I have learned that blogging can be a great tool for the teacher to add to their tool box. Blogs used as part of a teacher’s teaching strategies can be a good way to get their students more involved with the material that has been presented in class by having them post comments and respond to their other classmate’s comments. I have also learned that blogs can be a great way to showcase a student’s work to either other students or the child’s parents as both could have access to the blog. I never really thought about it but blogs can be a great way to get or keep the parents involved in their kid’s education.

Work. Blogs require a lot of it to be put in if you hope to make them successful. I think for a blog that is going to be focused on the having your students involved with it the biggest work load would be managing the blog. Keeping things up to date, interesting, and staying on top of all your students posting will require a lot of time. Thankfully the teacher who engages in blogging has many tools available to them to help in managing and sorting through everything that comes along with a blog.

During the course of this class I have also learned about the frustrations of technology. I have been dealing with disappearing comments that I have published on other’s blogs and with my original blog being deleted from Google for some unknown reason. I am glad that this has happened here rather than with a blog that I was using as part of my teaching.

Over all I can say that I have learned a good deal about blogging and what it takes to run one successfully. I also think that I could see myself using one in conjunction with my classroom teaching, the benefits that I have seen and read about I think could be a real positive thing for my future students and for myself.

1 comment:

  1. There isn't really anything with which to diagree in Russ' posting. I'm sure that all of us will list the many benefits for teachers, students and parents that are associated with blogging. Given that blogs aren't new and the benefits are many, the question that nags at me is: why aren't more teachers using blogs?

    ReplyDelete